Jeffrey P. Richards began his legal career as a prosecutor in the Douglas County District Attorney’s office, where he tried both misdemeanor and felony cases in the Tallapoosa and Douglas Judicial Circuits. After four years in that position, he joined Hartley Rowe & Fowler, P.C., where he continued to litigate a broad range of both civil and criminal cases. He also developed expertise in real estate matters, including title examination and secured residential lending. Over the last ten years, Mr. Richards has overseen the residential real estate practice, aiding clients in the efficient closing of residential real estate sales and purchases as well as refinances. He has been certified as complying with best practices guidelines established by the American Land Title Association.
Mr. Richards also maintains an active adoption law practice. He regularly represents foster parents seeking to adopt children released to them from Department of Family and Children’s Services’ care, and routinely represents clients seeking step-parent adoptions, independent adoptions, private agency adoptions and domestication of international adoptions.
Mr. Richards has also served as a State of Georgia Certified Mediator and is a Georgia licensed title insurance agent.
Real Estate F:
- University of Georgia Law School, J.D., 1979 (Prosecutorial Clinic, Best Brief -Talmadge Moot Court Competition)
- University of Illinois, B.S., 1976
- Douglas County Bar Association, past President (two terms)
- State Bar of Georgia
- State Bar of Georgia Board of Governors (1994-1999)
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Boy Scouts of America, District level positions, including District Chairman
- First Presbyterian Church of Douglas County, member and Elder
- Kiwanis Club, Past President, Hixon Award recipient
- Leadership Douglas Graduate, 1990
- Mock Trial, Coach and District Coordinator
- Young Lawyers’ Section, Mock Trial Competition
- Youth Leadership Douglas, volunteer leader
- Douglas County Chamber of Commerce
Bar & Court Admissions
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Superior Courts of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States Tax Court